Pre-Conference Jitters

March 9, 2008

This week is SCASL (South Carolina Association of School Librarians) Conference 2008!

I have attended this conference for many years as a Media Specialist but this year will be different! I am not only attending, I am also presenting, assisting, and working with the hosting school district.

Presenting…that’s where the jitters are.

I will be a presenting for part of the Pre-Conference Session “Power Up to the Future…with Web 2.0″ on Wednesday, March 12, 2008. My co-workers and I will be showcasing blogs, wikis, podcasts, Google apps, and Other great Web 2.0 tools. I will be doing the “other” part. I plan to talk about www.makebeliefscomix.com, Animoto, Blabberize, and Kerpoof. I have used and shared all of these sites before, so my planning is already done for this. Yeah!!

I will also be presenting BY MYSELF on Friday! My session is entitled, “Google Lit Trips: A Journey Your Students Will Never Forget.” This will be my first time presenting at a conference on my own. I presented in the fall at the South Carolina Council for the Social Studies Conference, but my GREAT pal MaryAnn presented with me. She really knows her stuff! Anyway, I am excited about my presentation but of course I don’t have it completed yet. The sense of urgency is bound to hit me by tomorrow or Tuesday :) There are tons of things to show from the Lit Trips site so I don’t have to worry about not having enough information. The site developer has even added my name to his site as an upcoming presentation and offered to help in any way. Thanks Jerome Burg!

Assisting…no biggie.

I work with 4 other Technology Educators and we will be the “crew” at the conference. We have to check each room before and after each session to make sure that the projectors and other equipment are working. Hopefully there won’t be any big issues to deal with this week!

Working with the hosting district…Richland One.

Since the conference is in Columbia, our school district is doing some of the party planning. Our department is currently working on the table decorations, equipment set-up, and other behind the scene details. I see a week of long work hours and early bedtimes in my future.

I am nervous about the presentations, but excited to be attending this conference in a new way this year. I hope to see some of my former Lexington Two colleagues and friends. But for now, I am going to get ready to Power Up @ Your Library.

Technorati Tags:

Entry Filed under: conference. Posted in  conference .

5 Comments Add your own

•    Jerome Burg  |  March 9th, 2008 at 9:06 pm     

Well, Julia
    As they say, “You go girl!”

I’m sure you’ll do just fine and if you get a question you don’t know, here’s a safety net. Just say, “Well, I’m not quite sure about that, but I know the guy behind the GoogleLitTrips project and I’ll get an answer for you if you want to leave me some contact info.”

jerome

•    Pat  |  March 10th, 2008 at 4:33 am     

It sounds like an exciting time. Can’t wait to hear how it all goes. I know you will do great!

•    MaryAnn Sansonetti  |  March 10th, 2008 at 5:25 pm     

You know you will be fabulous. Julia you are a great presenter and your topic rocks! See you there.

•    Joyce Dillard  |  March 19th, 2008 at 11:59 am     

Hey, Julia. This was a session that I didn’t get to attend at the conference and would have if I could have fit one more in. I went to your wiki and have been looking at your presentation information and I have a question. I think I have downloaded everything I need to make one of these journeys work, but when you are actually taking the tour, is there narration? I downloaded the file for Night and got the Google Earth tour working, but I expected some narration. What have I done wrong?

•    techjulia  |  March 19th, 2008 at 2:26 pm     

Joyce,
    Thanks for the interest in my session. I hope the handouts are helpful.
    There is not any narration on any of the tours that I have taken. Each place marker has either text, pictures, weblinks, or a combination of these. This gives you or the students the opportunity to pause, reflect, and discuss this place and how it relates to the book.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Julia